There’s now more detail in last night’s police shooting in southwest Portland.

The man shot by police has been identified as 34-year-old Marcus Lagozzino, who is listed in critical condition at an area hospital. Detectives say Lagozzino assaulted his 61-year-old mother and his 60-year-old father after arguing with them and then went outside the home and began breaking windows. They say he armed himself with a machete with a 22-inch blade. No identification yet of the officer who shot Lagozzino.

Here’s the story we wrote earlier this morning:

Police shot a 34-year-old man last night in southwest Portland who had a machete. The man, whose name was not immediately released, is expected to survive.

Police say the man’s mother told them in a call about 5:15 pm on Monday to 9-1-1 that her son was outside the house breaking windows and that she and her husband were hiding inside the house.

The caller also reported that her son had been suicidal and that he might be trying to “commit suicide-by-cop,” police said. Residents in the Multnomah Village neighborhood told KATU they heard eight shots, though some of those could have been beanbag rounds that officers used at first in attempts to subdue the man.

The shooting comes 10 days after Portland police fatally shot 45-year-old Darryel Dwayne Ferguson in East Portland.

Here’s the release Portland police issued late Monday night:

This evening, Monday December 27, 2010, at approximately 5:15 p.m., Portland Police officers were dispatched to a residence in the 3500 block of Southwest Dakota Street on the report of a disturbance. The caller to 9-1-1 stated that her 34-year-old son was outside the house breaking windows, throwing things at the house and that he was armed with a machete and pacing in front of the residence. The caller also reported that her son has been suicidal in the past and that he might be trying to commit suicide-by-cop and that she believed he would be confrontational with police. The caller reported that she and her husband were hiding inside the house.

Several officers and sergeants arrived and worked to develop a plan to approach the subject safely, who was still outside the residence armed with a machete. As the officers approached the residence, the subject confronted the officers, while still armed with the machete.

Officers gave verbal commands to the subject and deployed less lethal munitions, including bean bag shotgun rounds and a tazer. The armed subject continued to present a threat to the officers and was shot by one officer as a result. The subject was transported to an area hospital and is expected to survive. No officers were injured.

At this point, detectives are in the initial stages of their investigation into the shooting and are working closely with the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office and the East County Major Crimes Team. Traffic is blocked from Southwest 35th Avenue to 37th Avenue along Dakota Street as detectives work to process the scene.

No additional information will be released until at least Tuesday December 28, 2010, in the late morning.

(Photo above courtesy KATU)