March 1st, 2012 | by HANNAH HOFFMAN News | Posted In: Cops and Courts, Schools

Grant High Investigation Leads to No Charges at Request of Victims' Parents

     
Tags:
news2-granthighschool_3815Grant High School is one of four set to be completely modernized under the new Portland Public Schools bond

The Multnomah County District Attorney's office will not prosecute any of the Grant High School junior varsity boys basketball players involved a Jan. 12 locker room assault because parents of the victims don't want to press charges.

The news was first broken in an article in the Grant Magazine earlier this week in a news package dedicated to the incident and its aftermath, but the District Attorney's office didn't officially confirm its decision until this afternoon.

Earlier reports said two basketball players were targeted by their teammates int he assault, but the investigation identified a third victim who might have been targeted at a different time.

According to the DA's office, the parents said the school's response and the mediation between the boys was sufficient, saying they only want to move on from the incident.

One of the four attackers was expelled; the rest were suspended and have since returned to school and issued an apology to the entire student body. Grant High now requires coaches present in locker rooms at all times.

Here's the full press release:

Grant High School investigation concludes and below is a statement from the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office regarding the resolution of the matter: 

The Juvenile Unit of the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office received reports of an investigation regarding Grant High school.  The substance of the investigation involves reports of alleged assaults that occurred in the men‚s locker room after sporting events.  During these incidents the lights in the locker room were turned off and there were no adults reported to be present.

Police identified three individuals who were alleged to have been subjected to assaultive behavior.  All three are juveniles and spoke with police. In all three incidents the juveniles were adamant that they did not want to proceed with formal filing of charges of any kind. The Multnomah County District Attorney‚s Office Juvenile Unit spoke separately with all three families and thoroughly explained the juvenile process and answered any questions.  During those discussions each family clearly reiterated their strong desire that none of these matters be handled by a formal adjudication process.  Additionally, the families involved in these cases indicated to us that procedural and policy changes by Grant High School administrators have taken place since these events were reported.  It was also explained to us that mediation services were offered and deemed helpful by those who participated.  Family members we spoke with felt confident that they have reached resolution regarding this issue and now desperately need the opportunity to move on.

On the facts presented relative to each case, a successful adjudication will require the participation of the three juveniles as there is insufficient collateral evidence to proceed with formal adjudication without their involvement.  After a thorough review of the facts presented by the Portland Police Bureau investigation into these matters, and careful consideration of the perspectives of the three families, the District Attorney's Office will not file a formal petition in any of these cases at this time.

 
  • Currently 3.5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
comments powered by Disqus
 

Web Design for magazines

Close
Close
Close