One of the tasks for U.S. senators is making recommendations for highly-sought-after federal judgeships.
Currently, Oregon's senior senator, Democrat Ron Wyden, has a committee working on recommending the next federal judge to President Obama for his consideration. Today, Wyden's office named the candidates for that position, which comes with a lifetime appointment.
Here is the list:
· Oregon Supreme Court Justice Thomas Balmer
· Attorney Dennis Balske
· Attorney Suzanne Chanti
· Assistant Federal Public Defender Lisa Hay
· Circuit Judge Marco Hernandez
· Circuit Court Judge Henry Kantor
· Circuit Court Judge Adrienne Nelson
· Circuit Court Judge Karsten Rasmussen
· Attorney Michael Simon
· Federal Public Defender Steven Wax
· Attorney Robert C. Weaver, Jr.
The buzz in legal circles is that Simon and Balmer are the leading candidates but Wyden's office will not comment on the process until it's complete.