Portland Mayor Charlie Hales scrambled the balance of power at City Hall with surprising bureau assignments this afternoon.
Hales officially distributed city bureaus today, after his office ran all 27 of them for the past five months. And as has been rumored for weeks, he shook up City Hall by giving no commissioner the same responsibilities they had before Hales took office.
The mayor kept 10 bureaus for himself, including a newly created, informal office to oversee the Willamette River Superfund cleanup.
And he handed out power only with responsibility: His bureau assignments come with mandates for commissioners to meet pointed goals, from reducing the city's carbon footprint to assuring every hiring process includes one minority candidate.
Here are the bureau assignments:
Mayor Charlie Hales
* Portland Police Bureau
* Portland Development Commission
* Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
* Office of Neighborhood Involvement
* Office of Equity and Human Rights
* Office of Management and Finance
* Office of Government Relations
* City Attorney
* City Budget Office
* Oversight of the Willamette River Super Fund clean-up project.