Willamette Week is Portland's go-to alternative media source for news, politics, arts and culture. WW produces a weekly newspaper, bimonthly culture magazines, major events and daily web content. We are a team of hard working individuals committed to making Portland a better place.
Branded Content Writer // Freelance //
Willamette Week is looking for a writer to support the Advertising team on a freelance basis, working to produce articles and messaging on behalf of advertisers.
We're looking for a branded content writer (or a few) who can both highlight a client, speak to their marketing objectives, and deliver the unique authentic Willamette Week voice our readers love. You know how to craft well-written pieces that connect with the WW audience. You communicate effectively with our internal team, and respond well to feedback to meet client expectations. You will work with a diversity of clients, including hospitality, food & drink, cannabis, B2B, and more. The content you write will be used for multiple channels, including print, digital, and social media.
Please submit cover letter and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Account Executive // Full time //
Willamette Week (wweek.com), Portland's most vital source for news and coverage of arts and Entertainment, seeks a new Account Executive for our team. In this role, you will work with local and national businesses to leverage WW's platforms to drive revenue for: our weekly paper, our magazines, our website, our social channels, and our events.
You're the ideal candidate, if you're a creative thinker with a keen understanding of new platforms for marketing and advertising that extend beyond print — i.e., social, digital, sponsored content, and can develop integrated campaigns that leverage all platforms. It will be your responsibility to build strong partnerships with clients and to identify creative ways to leverage the WW voice on their behalf. It's essential that you possess excellent communicators, and can share ideas, develop proposals, and articulate creative ideas — all while being highly organized.
While this role has the support of a sales team and manager, a Willamette Week Account Executive operates fairly autonomously, handling a portfolio of accounts.
The right person for this job must be extremely motivated — and entrepreneurial in spirit. WW offers an exciting and challenging environment that is best-suited to passionate self-starters who are not afraid to roll up their sleeves.
- Manage and sell a large portfolio of accounts — embodying a keen sense of sales priorities.
- Deeply understand the WW media calendar, platforms, and audience — and be able to clearly target sales opportunities based on those inputs.
- Develop strong relationships with key clients. Build genuine trust and rapport with them.
- Develop creative marketing solutions that help solve against key clients’ business goals.
- Build and present clear, thoughtful proposals.
- Identify and contact new prospects with creative approaches.
- Identify growth opportunities with existing accounts and initiate long-term planning to bring these opportunities to fruition.
- Actively contribute to the ad design/sponsored content process by having a strong point of view on strategic direction, vision, and business objectives that reflect the client’s voice.
- Keep up to date on digital tools and platforms — and how to best leverage them with social and digital advertising opportunities.
- Work daily within our CRM on booking ads, logging notes, managing accounts.
- Proof and audit all your clients’ ads to assure they are designed and placed correctly and on time.
- 2 – 4 years in a client facing role, ideally sales (in publishing, ad agency or start-up).
- Savvy understanding and interest in digital platforms, and non-traditional advertising.
- Creative thinker with ability to pick up information quickly — and work fast.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to juggle multiple projects at once.
- Possess entrepreneurial, brave, curious, focused, solution-oriented, empathetic, fun, and optimistic personal qualities.
- A genuine love of Portland: You need to be more than willing to dive deeply into local culture to develop a keen understanding of — and appreciation for — our city.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com for consideration.