Willamette Week is Portland’s go-to alternative media source for news, politics, arts and culture. WW produces a weekly newspaper, bimonthly culture magazines, major events and daily web content. We are a team of hard working individuals committed to making Portland a better place.
Willamette Week (wweek.com) has played a vital role in Portland for more than 40 years. WW produces a weekly newspaper, four annual culture magazines, major public events and daily web content. We are a team of hard-working individuals committed to making Portland a better place. We are looking for a Creative Director to lead our design team, manage the production of the weekly newspaper and annual magazines, and oversee all budgets for the art department.
The ideal candidate will be fluent in both print and web design. This is a hands-on design position where you will be responsible for the layout of the paper as well as directing the overall creative vision and application of the brand across platforms. You’re the ideal candidate if you like to take initiative and thrive in a deadline-driven environment. This person must have experience managing creatives and proven success in art direction.
- Design, direct and assign weekly covers and inside pages.
- Own the WWeek digital experience and continually work to push our online presence, including the website, newsletters, and social and digital projects.
- Manage, direct and inspire a team of designers.
- Effectively direct multiple projects at the same time, including the weekly newspaper, magazines, the web presence, and various branding projects.
- Manage and direct freelance artists and photographers.
- Research and build relationships with new freelance talent.
- Keep up to date on design trends and how best to display information visually online and in print. Suggest and conceive new creative ideas.
- Collaborate with strong personalities and brainstorm ideas. Hear out editors and writers (even when you disagree) and present your ideas effectively.
- On occasion, cover breaking news. (Work with photographers and the news editor to cover events in real time.)
- Manage the art budget.
- Oversee proper naming conventions and filing of assets.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Excellent communication. Openness to sharing ideas and delegating tasks. Quick and effective decision-making.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Proven ability to perform in a deadline-driven environment
- Work history in an editorial environment or similar field
- Love of Portland—willingness to dive deep into local culture to develop a keen understanding of the city
To apply, send cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Creative Director”.
Wanted: Delivery Driver with Vehicle for Newspaper Route
Willamette Week (wweek.com), Portland’s most vital source for news and coverage of arts and entertainment, seeks an Advertising Director. This is a hybrid role as we evolve our business and grow back from the pandemic, to meet the needs of our advertisers and audiences.
In this role, you will act as both a Senior Account Executive (selling and executing high level ad campaigns) and an Ad Director, managing a small team of Account Executives, ideating and developing new revenue streams, sales packages, sponsored content and more, all in service of hitting monthly revenue goals for Willamette Week.
We’re looking for a unicorn - someone driven to hit revenue goals, and excited to ideate creative solutions. Our platforms (newspaper, social, newsletters, events, magazines, podcasts) are your playground, as long as we’re building the business to support our journalism.
You’re the ideal candidate, if you’ve got client services chops, sales gusto, and you have an entrepreneurial spirit (< this is a MUST!). You take initiative and leadership without waiting for direction and you’re just as happy crafting a sales outreach email, as you are concepting a storyboard for a branded client video.
- Manage a small team of Account Executives
- Work with higher level clients in building successful, long term relationships as well as executing day-to-day ad buys. Serve as the client’s primary point of contact for trafficking ads, collecting payment, providing reporting, and monitoring performance and delivery.
- Work directly with the Associate Publisher on growing the business through new platforms and creative revenue streams: events, magazines, newsletters, calendar, branded content, etc.
- Develop sales packages and outreach strategies to facilitate and direct the Advertising team’s efforts.
- Work daily within our CRM on booking ads, logging notes, managing accounts
- Partner with Creative, Production, Distribution and other internal teams to oversee advertising programs and production schedules
- Minimum 4 years experience working at a publisher, media organization, creative agency or similar company
- Minimum 2 years management experience
- Proven project management experience and ability to navigate and communicate timelines and deliverables
- Experience in a client interfacing role and comfortable presenting to different audiences, tailoring messages accordingly
- Skills to give feedback to clients using data, research and insights
- A basic understanding of Excel and Google Product Suite
- Preference for Adobe CS skills
To Apply, send cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com with the title “Advertising Director”.