Port of Portland lobbyist Annette Price convened a meeting of leading business lobbyists yesterday to plan strategy ahead of a Jan. 14 legislative hearing on the proposed Oregon-only Columbia River Crossing project.
The Legislature's approval for the project has expired, and Gov. John Kitzhaber is hoping lawmakers will revive the CRC in the upcoming February legislative session.
Price's email lays out a list of legislators to target with lobbying and the message to deliver. The message also references the Portland Business Alliance (PBA) and Associated Oregon Industries (AOI), two business lobbying groups.
"Thanks everyone for the meeting today. For those of you unable to make it, please make sure to call me for a specific update. Attached is the hearing notice for next Tuesday.
Action items from the meeting are as follows:
1. Legislators who need to be contacted by the Principal/CEO/Business Manager level ASAP are:
Senator Courtney [D-Salem, Senate president]
Senator Beyer [D-Springfield, chair of Senate Transportation Committee]
Senator Johnson [D-Scappose]
Senator Starr [R-Hillsboro]
Senator Winters [R-Salem]
Rep. Bentz [R-Ontario]
Rep. Berger [R-Salem]
Rep. Davis [R-Wilsonville]
[NOTE: There will be additional names that have a specific geographic component and I will discuss with the appropriate folks].
· The bridge is essential to the economic health of the entire state
· Now is the time to build the bridge
· We've talked about it enough
· Is there else I should call in your caucus?
2. Here is the link to the PBA message on the Bridge (feel free to modify, cut, paste, forward to you membership):
3. I have work to do on the AOC Transportation meeting on Monday and will communicate accordingly.
4. Please remember to share any communications you send out with me.
5. Start preparing OpEds now and if you need help, let me know.
6. Reminder: We are meeting immediately after the hearing on Tuesday at AOI.
Let me know if you have questions.
We're going to build the bridge!