WHAT TO KNOW:
- A member of the far-right group the Proud Boys on Friday pleaded guilty to assault in the fourth degree, a misdemeanor, for his role in a June 8, 2018 assault in Portland.
- Oregon House Speaker Tina Kotek says this year’s session of the Oregon Legislature was a triumph—but lawmakers must press for a carbon cap: “All these other things don’t make sense if we don’t have a planet.”
- Whoops! A state economist corrected an error last week, saying Californians are no longer moving to the Oregon Coast at higher rates than most other new arrivals.
- The Portland City Attorney rejected a demand by antifascists to retract a misleading tweet posted by the Portland Police Bureau on June 29, which spread unsubstantiated allegations about protesters mixing cement with vegan milkshakes.
- You’ve been seeing headlines on family separations and human-rights abuses at immigrant detention camps at the Mexico border. Here’s what Portlanders can do about it.
- Micah Camden is partnering with NFL star Ndamukong Suh to open a new restaurant downtown. Bae’s Chicken will open in the former home of the Ash Street Saloon, the downtown rock club that closed in 2017.
WHERE TO DRINK:
- Here are the top five places to drink in Portland right now.
WHAT TO EAT:
- Ice Queen makes ‘grammable vegan ice dream that doesn’t suck. She now pops up at events across Portland, serving shimmering creamsicle bars and vanilla cones dusted with vegan Cheeto dust.
To get daily news round-ups like this in your inbox every morning, subscribe to our Daily Primer newsletter.