- seen a show in which puppets play a more prominent role than humans.
- overheard someone at the ballet bemoan the absence of an orchestra.
- worn a beret to the Portland International Film Festival.
- watched well-heeled members of the audience walk out during an abstract White Bird dance show.
- consumed spiked punch from the converted toilet bowl at Rocksbox.
- stayed stubbornly seated during an undeserved standing ovation.
- reluctantly stood up during an undeserved standing ovation.
- realized youâve seen WillaKenzie Estate co-owner Ronni LaCroute more often than you have any member of your own family.
- had your portrait painted by Gwenn Seemel.
- seen a live stage adaptation of a bad â80s movie.
- gotten too drunk to understand what anybody was saying by the last reading at LitHop.
- wondered whether a butoh performer was still awake.
- slid into your seat at the Schnitz for a symphony show after coming straight from Mount Hoodâand realized that half the people in your row are also wearing some combination of zipoff pants and hiking boots.
- heard a comedian tell jokes about how white the audience is.
- mistakenly said âStorm Largeâ when you meant âStorm Tharp.â
- seen actors at Action/Adventure stop and wait, mid-performance, for a rumbling train to pass.
- felt superior to the guy who clapped between movements at the symphony, even though you stopped your hands mere inches apart.
- knocked over a full bottle of free BridgePort at Portland Playhouse.
- run into Mark Woolley at the Wonder Ballroom, Holocene, Lolaâs Room and Robo Taco all in the same night.
- spent an hour trying to get out of the parking garage next to the Keller.
- rolled your eyes during a Loggernaut reading when someone reverently tells you the author âgot into Iowa.â
- tipped Baby LeStrange for her Tina Belcher stocking peel.
- been glared at after slipping the box office $5 on a âpay what you willâ Thursday.
- tried to spot Oregon Ballet Theatre dancer Michael Linsmeierâs tattoos.
- clapped as loud as you could when you heard, âGood evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Jimmy Makâs!ââeven though you knew he was just going to say it again anyway.
- heard someone tell a story in the beer garden at the Time-Based Art festival, and realized youâd already seen them tell it onstage at Back Fence.
- gone to an anus-themed painting and drawing show at Cock Gallery.
- shopped for a pair of red shoes just like the ones worn by White Bird co-founder Paul King.
- promised to go see a friendâs friendâs documentary and then gotten âsuper, super sick.â
Theater: Director Samantha Van Der Merwe | Fall Picks
Dance: Ballerina Xuan Cheng | Fall Picks
Books: Poet Carl Adamshick | Fall Picks
Comedy: Comedian Gabe Dinger | Fall Picks
Classical: Composer Christopher Corbell | Fall Picks
Jazz/World: Drummer Chris Brown | Fall Picks
Visual Arts: Duct-Tape Artist Mona Superhero | Fall Picks