Interim SAIF Corp. CEO Will Retire Next Year

Plotkin lawsuit proceeding; Rocklin breaks silence

John Gilkey

SAIF Corp., the state-owned worker's compensation insurer, announced today that interim CEO John Gilkey will step down next year.

SAIF spokesman Dave Miller says that Gilkey, who's spent nearly 35 years at SAIF, will stay on until the insurer's board of directors hires a replacement. Miller says that process will begin at the SAIF board's November meeting.

The announcement comes at an unsettled time for SAIF. The SAIF board abruptly fired CEO John Plotkin in May, after senior executives presented the board will allegations that Plotkin spoke inappropriately to, and in front of, SAIF employees. At least four senior SAIF employees subsequently disputed those allegations. Plotkin filed a lawsuit against SAIF, two senior employees and Plotkin's predecessor, former SAIF CEO Brenda Rocklin.

That lawsuit is proceeding in Marion County Circuit Court, with lawyers for Rocklin having presented a motion on Sept. 26 to have her dropped from the case. At part of her request, Rocklin, who has not previously commented on the circumstances of Plotkin's departure filed a declaration explaining her role.

WWeek 2015

Willamette Week’s reporting has real-life impact that changes laws, forces action by civic leaders, and drives compromised politicians from public office.

Support WW.