Marijuana delivery has always been as integral to the pot-smoking experience as burritos. Now, you no longer have to smoke out the weird dealer who made a house call.
Portland, weed delivery is now legal!
In December, the City Council quietly voted to add a new license category to include retail couriers. These marijuana courier businesses are delivery-only for both recreational and medical customers. They're not allowed to sell from a storefront and can only take orders from 8 am to 8 pm, and can't deliver after 9 pm.
In documents, the proposed code amendment says the license will "allow market entry for small business entrepreneurs."
This isn't an entrepreneur comparable to that frat dude who airbrushes T-shirts at the mall. The business requires a long process with overhead—$3,500 for the license and another $750 for the application, which can take months to get approved.
Oregon's stringent marijuana laws make us lose out on some of the cooler aspects of legal weed.
Related: What do Colorado and Washington Cannabis Have That Oregon Doesn't?
In Washington, you can smoke at hotels that allow it. Colorado is currently developing the first-ever permits for areas where smoking in public is allowed. In both states, dispensaries can stay open until midnight, and their edibles have a higher potency limit.
But on delivery, Oregon is leading the charge. Neither Washington nor Colorado allow it, and neither has the late-night pizza to match.
Welcome to Reasons to Love Portland 2017
1. Portland Is Telling Donald Trump That He Won't Get Away With This
2. We're Rich! Portland Has The Nation's Fastest Growing GDP
3. Here's How Far Portlanders Have Ridden in the First Six Months of BikeTown
4. We're Very Happy That Portland Bartenders Can Finally Drink on The Job.
5. When the Snow Hit, Portlanders Saved Lives By Volunteering at Homeless Shelters
6. At Long Last, Portland Has The Kinky Coffee Shop It's Needed
7. A Selected List of All Portland's Recent Number 1 Rankings
8. Move Over PCT: You'll Soon Be Able to Mountain Bike From Washington to California
9. Oregon Has The Nation's Cheapest Weed. Thank God.
10. This is the Best Ski Season Mount Hood Has Had Since Obama Was a Senator
11. Nobody Snowdays Harder Than Portland
12. Portland Finally Has Architecture Worth Arguing About
13. Check Out This Crazy New Recording Studio in a Former Library in Deep Southeast
14. Weed Delivery Will Begin in Portland Any Day Now
15. In Portland, You Never, Ever Need To Call Domino's
16. Portland Is Home to the Most Liberal College in America. No, Not That One.
17. There's A Forgotten Wonder In Oregon City. It'll Soon Be Revealed
18. Portland's Blazers Bootleg T-Shirts Are Lit
19. Portland is Metal AF
20. ILOVEMAKONNEN Moved To Portland. No, For Real
21. Sorry, Donald, We Won't Help You Deport Our Neighbors.
22. Portland Now Has a Patriarchy-Free Social Club and Workspace
23. Oregon is the New Truffle King of the World
24. Check Out These Photos of the Winter Light Festival
25. In Portland, You Can See Every Movie Nominated For an Oscar in the Theater
26. Portland Art Museum is Tapping into the Legacy of Arguably Oregon's Greatest Artist
27. Yes, Portland Has More Pinball Machines Than New York and Los Angeles
28. Portland Has Vegan Everything. A Selected List.
29. In Portland, Dive Bars Never Really Die