Portland moviegoers don't realize how good they have it. They buy tickets to Moonlight at Cinema 21 and order pizza with their subtitles at Living Room Theaters—while rarely acknowledging our unusual bounty of arthouse cinemas. When you live in the city of NW Film Center, it's easy to forget that there are places in America where you'd probably have to watch a bootleg copy of Elle to gear up for Oscar night.
Portland's access to Oscar-nominated fare is pretty staggering. This year, we have multiple Best Picture marathons to choose from: at Century Clackamas Town Center and Regal's Lloyd Center and Bridgeport, where one $35 ticket allows you to see all nine films nominated. Plus, the Hollywood Theatre is again screening all the animated Oscar-nominated shorts, including Pear Brandy and Cigarettes, which the theater enticingly promises will include "violence, language, sex, and drug use."
You can also catch up on Oscar-nominated films not up for Best Picture at Fox Tower and Living Room, which is also showing The Salesman, the already-beloved Best Foreign Language Film nominee. And if you really want to be an Oscar completist, you can rent out-of-theaters contenders like The Lobster and Hail, Caesar! from Clinton Street Video or Movie Madness. And that's if you missed Lobster when it was at Cinema 21 or the Hollywood, and Caesar when it played at multiple Portland theaters last year.
The weeks leading up to the Oscars are a time for basking in everything from the gravity-defying theatrics of La La Land to the scalding anti-Trumpism of Arrival, and we live in a city that makes it blissfully easy to soak it all up.
Welcome to Reasons to Love Portland 2017
1. Portland Is Telling Donald Trump That He Won't Get Away With This
2. We're Rich! Portland Has The Nation's Fastest Growing GDP
3. Here's How Far Portlanders Have Ridden in the First Six Months of BikeTown
4. We're Very Happy That Portland Bartenders Can Finally Drink on The Job.
5. When the Snow Hit, Portlanders Saved Lives By Volunteering at Homeless Shelters
6. At Long Last, Portland Has The Kinky Coffee Shop It's Needed
7. A Selected List of All Portland's Recent Number 1 Rankings
8. Move Over PCT: You'll Soon Be Able to Mountain Bike From Washington to California
9. Oregon Has The Nation's Cheapest Weed. Thank God.
10. This is the Best Ski Season Mount Hood Has Had Since Obama Was a Senator
11. Nobody Snowdays Harder Than Portland
12. Portland Finally Has Architecture Worth Arguing About
13. Check Out This Crazy New Recording Studio in a Former Library in Deep Southeast
14. Weed Delivery Will Begin in Portland Any Day Now
15. In Portland, You Never, Ever Need To Call Domino's
16. Portland Is Home to the Most Liberal College in America. No, Not That One.
17. There's A Forgotten Wonder In Oregon City. It'll Soon Be Revealed
18. Portland's Blazers Bootleg T-Shirts Are Lit
19. Portland is Metal AF
20. ILOVEMAKONNEN Moved To Portland. No, For Real
21. Sorry, Donald, We Won't Help You Deport Our Neighbors.
22. Portland Now Has a Patriarchy-Free Social Club and Workspace
23. Oregon is the New Truffle King of the World
24. Check Out These Photos of the Winter Light Festival
25. In Portland, You Can See Every Movie Nominated For an Oscar in the Theater
26. Portland Art Museum is Tapping into the Legacy of Arguably Oregon's Greatest Artist
27. Yes, Portland Has More Pinball Machines Than New York and Los Angeles
28. Portland Has Vegan Everything. A Selected List.
29. In Portland, Dive Bars Never Really Die